Welcome to my world...

Welcome to my world of technology...







Friday, December 2, 2011

My Digital Footprint

Digital Footprints: In simple terms, a way for your life to be digitally tracked and followed. You can see someones digital footprint by doing a simple search in good. You can find pictures of people throughout their life, information about them, information someone has entered into websites, something written about them, etc.

I did a search of my name in google...WOW! I'm famous! Okay maybe I'm not, but I was shocked at everything that came up.

Information about my Twitter, which I haven't used in about a year comes up! Links to my blog shows up. But then there is information that I didn't put out there. Numerous links about pageants that I have been a part of. An article about a scholarship that I received when i graduated high school, which i never even knew existed. ETC.
Doing that simple research of my name showed my how easily it is for someone to track me and find out what I have been doing for the past couple years. That digital footprint will keep getting larger as I get older. I would leap to say that in about 5 years I could do another Google search of my name and I would probably find about 10 more things. For some people this digital footprint could be a good thing. But if you put bad things on the Internet, such as bad picture on your Facebook, an employer could look that up.

I think that people need to be more educated about digital footprints and how they are created. You are going to create it for the rest of your life and leaving a "bad" digital footprint could really cause problems for people in many aspect of their life.

1 comment:

  1. It's pretty scary how the internet keeps everything that has ever been uploaded. So if anything ever gets uploaded and you try to delete it. Some way or another, someone will find it one day. Everyone really should start thinking about their digital footprint.

    ReplyDelete